7.23.2009

Cleaning out the closet

This is a compilation, only a compilation, it's all the stuff I've saved on days I didn't feel like bombarding people's inboxes... FUN TIMES!!! now you get to see it all!!

1)
I've always wanted to know random trivia about the presidents and be able to name them in order etc. Same with capitols of states and geography. If I ever dedicate any time to it, this is what I will use.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/07/06/internet-i-could-kiss-you-on-the-mouth#more

2)
This is something I heard on the radio...NPR-some guy sent an email to his boss that was 4 lines long and his response was "shorter". Now it's his favorite response to any criticism longer than a few syllables. LOVE IT.

3)
Random thought: I would love to perfect Meryl Streep's "That's all." I feel like the people I work with here in Bellevue (the patients) have, so I should just shoot it right back and see how they like it.

4)
From Textsfromlastnight.com... the ones that made me laugh over the course of probably three or four weeks.

(908): bl l w
(201): this should be fun to decipher. I'd like to buy a vowel.

(720): Dear male population: sorry for being such a dick tease but thanks for paying for my bar tab and drunk food

(908): I think i just called up my ex and talked to her for 20 minutes about frogs and how happy i am to be wearing shorts

(334): I told a kindergarten student that candy canes are bones of reject elves.

(248): Yeah, but I'm out of licorice and there's no way anywhere near here will rent us all mopeds on a Tuesday night.

(704): One of my students just wrote an essay on how ninjas, like drug addicts, must realize they need help before they can get better...I gave it an A+

(631): By the end of the second bowl I was making sound effects to every hand movement he made.

(717): this morning i woke up with my panties on and i knew where i was. success.


5)
From theStranger's slog. I read it almost every day.

The Reason It's "Octopuses" and Not "Octopi" (Really, It's "Octopodes," but That'll Never Catch On)
Posted by Brendan Kiley on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Just in case you were wondering. From etymonline.com:


OCTOPUS 1758, genus name of a type of eight-armed cephalopod mollusks, from Greek oktopous "eight-footed," from okto "eight" (see eight) + pous "foot." Proper plural is octopodes, though octopuses probably works better in English. Octopi is from mistaken assumption that -us is the Latin noun ending that takes -i in plural.

People thought the word came from Latin, it really came from Greek.

Noted.

6)
Also from theStranger.
http://lineout.thestranger.com/lineout/archives/2009/06/02/i-am-going-to-watch-this-forever-and-ever-and-ever


That's all. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog