
Kuaui is the oldest island in the Hawaiian chain. They were created by a hotspot at the bottom of the ocean and Kuaui, being oldest, is round, worn (relatively) and sandy (again, relative to the other Hawaiian islands).
There is a man with one hand who lives in the coconut grove by the apartments we are staying in. He has a tarp strung between several trees, a makeshift lean-to consisting of what look to me like palm fronds. He is 15 feet from the ocean and surrounded by wild roosters who crow beginning at 4 am and consistently throughout the day as well. The weather here is reportedly never cooler than 70 degrees or so. The water is remarkably clean compared with what I'm used to in terms of ocean water. While the beach nearest to the man is salty, there is a stream nearby that is fresh perhaps a 10 minute walk from here. For that matter, several of the public beaches, which don't seem to ever close, have fresh water showers and bathrooms that are kept up very well. Most people around here are remarkably amiable. I've heard no one be rude to anyone else. Instead, I've witnessed countless instances of locals going out of their way to help others or advise them or just be social. I don't want to put a judgement where I have no business judging but I'd like to say that, for me, so far, I'm thinking if I had to be a bum anywhere in the world, here might be the first or second place on my list.
Contemplative conclusions and observations that make me feel Dumb:
Child abduction must not happen that often [at least successfully] around here, save perhaps for around Honolulu, and then you have to be serious about taking that kid AWAY.
We've seen no other states represented, license plate wise, than Hawaii.
The dirt here is red like rust because it has high iron content, and has been exposed to air and water consistently.

No comments:
Post a Comment