8.11.2010

The nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made


“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain



Caught by the realization that I had close to zero activities going on and nothing really planned future wise, I signed up for several things several weeks ago. One of those was sailing. The class is cheap compared to most sailing classes, and therefore, within my budget. You pay for what you get maybe, as the boats are small and basic, very easy to manage; the lake is small and basic, there seems to be unreliable wind.... And I will admit that this afternoon, I wanted to skip class and go home to nap, claiming I'd signed myself up for too many things too fast and was overwhelmed and exhausted... However!!!

Sailing is peaceful. Sailing can be exhilarating. Sailing is challenging if you need it to be. Sailing is easy depending on your boat and setting. Sailing is QUIET. Sailing is SMOOTH. Sailing is awesome. Thank you Seattle Parks and Rec.

My boat tonight, the Rubber Ducky, did catch some wind despite the calm weather at Green Lake. As we tacked and jibed up and down the lake, acquainting ourselves to the nuances of a sailboat and this sailboat, the sun gradually set behind Duck Island. I have to say it was one of those aha! moments when you realize this is what it is like to be truly happy. Challenge accepted, task managed if not mastered, heart exhilarated, you witness beauty in the world and for a moment, everything is fine. The Rubber Ducky pointed into the golden water of the sunset, riding on a rather steady gust of wind, I glided across Green Lake, moving, though so smoothly it is hard to tell without a reference. A few SUP paddlers paddle along beside me, and for a second I think they could be the dolphins that follow my 30 footer.... seals after my fishing boat... or saints walking on water? But it is a spiritual experience. This moment of satisfaction such a needed answer to the questions I've been asking. It WILL be OK.

***picture from flickr... not mine. Green Lake sailing in the 1970s***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog