7.24.2006

tagless


While trying on suitable attire for a wedding I recently attended, I overheard a conversation between some teenage girls. They were discussing their clothing sizes and comparing parts of their bodies, detailing who needed work and where. I was disgusted. Sure, sometimes, I am not wholy content with my own body. There have been times when I've been embarrassed or ashamed of this or that part. But today I'm ripping out all the tags on my clothing. Why are we women such slaves to those numbers. I'd rather wear something that fits me well than squeeze into something just to be able to say I am a 6 or a 4 or whatever.


The way women brag... "I am a 2 in dresses at the Gap." "Once I fit into size 4 jeans." It is not only meaningless (each brand or store line has different sizing schemes) but also irrelevant. I've seen some empty and cadaverous 2's walking around and some stunning 14's or 16's. Of course also size says nothing of what really counts. Once I'm gone, it would be nice for people to remember me as good looking but it would be a far greater thing to be remembered for my personality or actions in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog